Each Region (or Area if receiving an Area slot) shall determine the method it uses for team formation, provided that each team member is eligible following the rules listed below. All rostered team members must be eligible players as defined in the Player Eligibility Policy.
A team roster may include up to two coaches, each of whom has met the Coaching Requirements described below. Only players and coaches listed on the approved roster may participate in the National Games.
Team Roster Sizes and Player Numbers on the Field
1. The maximum roster size allowed in 16U/19U will be 18 and teams will play 11 v 11
2. The maximum roster size allowed in 14U will be 15 and teams will play 11 v 11
3. The maximum roster size allowed in 12U will be 12 and teams will play 9 v 9
4. The maximum roster size allowed in 10U will be ten and teams will play 7 v 7
The following age divisions participate in the AYSO National Games (DOBs for 2019 Games):
19U girls teams and boys teams Birthdates January 1, 2000 – December 31, 2002
16U girls teams and boys teams Birthdates January 1, 2003 – December 31, 2004
14U girls teams and boys teams Birthdates January 1, 2005 – December 31, 2006
12U girls teams and boys teams Birthdates January 1, 2007 – December 31, 2008
10U girls teams and boys teams Birthdates January 1, 2009 – December 31, 2010
Teams with a mixture of boys and girls will be considered boys’ teams for purposes of the lottery draw and pool placement.
Team Formation Limitations – Regular Flight
Each team must be comprised of eligible players from the Region(s) that are age-appropriate for the age division selected in the Lottery Draw. (“Age appropriate” shall be judged solely by a player’s birth date and not by the player’s primary season division.) All eligible players from the hosting Region MUST have the first opportunity to participate or, if an Area team, only from the Regions stated in the lottery bid.
- Exception 1: If the selected Region is unable to form a complete team from age appropriate eligible players in the Region’s primary program, the Region may, with permission from the Area Director, approach Regional Commissioners from other Regions in their own AYSO Area to seek additional eligible players, which requires each Regional Commissioner involved to sign off on the addendum Blue Sombrero team roster.
- Exception 2: Extraordinary circumstances might indicate the need to go to a neighboring AYSO Area to find a team member. This requires agreement by each of the Regional Commissioners, Area Directors and Section Director(s) involved.
- Exception 3: Team members will be allowed to be added to a team roster not in their age appropriate division only under circumstances as described in “Playing up.”
“Playing up” a division by a team member into an older age bracket than his/her birth date indicated in Age Divisions, will be permitted only under one of the following circumstances:
- Permitted in all of the age brackets (except 10U) provided that the player played up in the 2018-2019 primary program. Age appropriate team members should be given priority in the selection process and it is the responsibility of the Regional Commissioner to verify the eligibility of the “younger” team member to be playing in an older age bracket during the Region’s primary program. Regional Commissioners must NOT play younger children up for the express or singular purpose of participating in the National Games.
- 10U may not utilize players who played in 8U during the primary program
- “Playing down” in a younger division than the player’s age is not permitted.